Sunday, November 22, 2015

NFL Week 11 Picks

We're starting to come down the stretch of this NFL season. Playoff spots are at stake and there are a lot of important games this week. As usual, home team is in all caps and the time and line are given for reference.

CAROLINA (-7) over Washington, 1:00 ET.

Man, the Panthers have had an easy schedule while going undefeated. The only team now over .500 they played was the Packers, who they caught in the middle of this three-game swoon. I think Washington will put up a good fight, but I can't see that Redskins offense getting enough points to beat Carolina.

Carolina 24, Washington 21.


Oakland over DETROIT (-1), 1:00 ET.

This line is just stupid. Just because the Lions barely squeezed out a win against the struggling Packers doesn't mean they should ever be favored. If I were a betting man, I would definitely take the Raiders. Thankfully, I'm not, but I'm still taking the Raiders to beat Detroit. The Raiders have a good offense, they can throw the ball. The Lions offense couldn't put up more than 18 against the crappy Green Bay defense.

Oakland 31, Detroit 20.


Dallas (-1.5) over MIAMI, 1:00 ET.

I'm breaking a rule here; If you're going to pick a team that is favored on the road, they better be really good. I have no idea if the Cowboys can regain their form from last year, when they should have been in the NFC Championship Game. They've lost the seven games that Tony Romo didn't start this season. Even though a lot of those were in heartbreaking fashion at the end of the game, should a team really be that reliant on a quarterback? Today will answer some of our questions about the Cowboys. If they lose, their season is over. If they win, they still have to win a bunch more. For now, I'm betting on a regression to the mean as far as their luck is considered.

Dallas 28, Miami 24.


ATLANTA (-3.5) over Indianapolis, 1:00 ET.

Both of these teams have been lackluster recently. The Falcons started off 5-0, then proceeded to lose three of their next four. Indy is 4-5 after many picked them to go to the Super Bow in the preseason. The Colts don't have Andrew Luck, and while backup Matt Hasselbeck has been better than Luck this year, he isn't the same big play threat as Luck, which should allow the Falcons to stack the box. I believe the Falcons will get back on track at home.

Atlanta 28, Indianapolis 21.


St. Louis over BALTIMORE (-3), 1:00 ET.

Um... Why is Baltimore favored? I realize the Rams are switching QB's, but can Case Keenum be any worse than Nick Foles? (By the way, how overall crappy was that Sam Bradford-for-Foles trade?) Todd Gurley hs estabished himself as one of the best running backs in the NFL as a rookie. The Rams defense is as nasty as ever. I don't get why the Ravens are favored by three, even at home.

St. Louis 24, Baltimore 14.


New York Jets (-4) over HOUSTON, 1:00 ET.

I'll have to admit I was wrong about Houston being the worst team in the NFL; I shouldn't have underestimated how inept the Browns can be. However, I don't think they have what it takes to beat this Jets defense, not with Arian Foster gone.

New York 24, Houston 20.


PHILADELPHIA (-6.5) over Tampa Bay, 1:00 ET.

Anybody who has read any of these picks columns or knows me at all knows I don't trust the Eagles. If this were a gambling column, I would definitely pick the Bucs. They can run the ball, Jameis Winston has settled in, and their defense can be good at times, and I don't trust the Eagles to win by a touchdown. How could I after they collapsed against the Dolphins last week? I don't know if Mark Sanchez is an upgrade over Sam Bradford. However, this is a column about who will win, and  think the Eagles underrated defense will make enough plays to win.

Philadelphia 21, Tampa Bay 20.


CHICAGO over Denver (-2), 1:00 ET.

Yeah, it's a pretty sure bet that this will backfire on me. I don't like the idea of Jay Cutler, due for a turnover or two this season, against the league's best defense. But Brock Osweiler making his first start on the road against a pretty good defense with no running game to help him out? I at least trust Cutler more than that guy.

Chicago 23, Denver 20.


Kansas City (-3) over SAN DIEGO, 4:05 ET.

San Diego actually has a negative home field advantage. More fans show up for the other team than for the Chargers. The Chiefs are coming off a big win over Denver and should be able to take away the Chargers strength in their passing game after picking off Peyton Manning 4 times and holding him to 5-20 for just 35 yards.

Kansas City 30, San Diego 21.


SEATTLE (-14) over San Fransisco, 4:25 ET.

It seems as though every time the Seahawks appear to be down and out, they get to play the abhorrent 49ers the next week. This time they get to play back-up QB Blaine Gabbert at home. At some point Seattle is going to have to beat someone besides the 49ers, but that isn't a problem this week.

Seattle 35, San Fransisco 10.


Green Bay (PK) over MINNESOTA, 4:25 ET.

I'm going to write a separate game summary piece specifically for this game, for three reasons:
1) I live in Minnesota and though I'm not a Vikings fan, the electricity around this game here is palpable. People are so ready to stick it in Green Bay's face.
2) Despite the fact that I'm not a Vikings fan, I do have a specific distaste for Aaron Rodgers because he's basically perfect and people try to place him above my favorite player ever, Tom Brady.
3) It's going to be a great game. The Packers are coming off three straight losses and have something to prove. Even though they lead the division, nobody believes in the Vikings, and the fans here are sick of it.
So that's what makes me excited to watch this game. Ultimately, it's hard to bet against Rodgers against the NFC North. However, he did just lose to the Lions at home last week. I don't know. What I do know is I can't wait.

Green Bay 28, Minnesota 27.



ARIZONA (-4.5) over Cincinnati, 8:30 ET.

I think this is going to be another really good game. The Cardinals are playing on Sunday night for the second straight week and the Bengals are coming off their first loss of the season, a shocker against the Texans. The Houston defense exposed some flaws in the Bengals offense that I think the Arizona defense will key in on. I think this game could come down to the final possession, and I trust Carson Palmer at home a little more than Andy Dalton on the road.

Arizona 31, Cincinnati 28.


Last Week: 7-5
Season: 55-27






No comments:

Post a Comment